Officials investigating cop punch incident caught on video

Published 4:53 pm Sunday, November 22, 2015


A video showing a police officer punching an Ole Miss Rebel fan in the face during an altercation during the Rebels game against Lousianna State University Saturday is beginning to go viral and the University of Mississippi says it’s investigating.

However, the policeman on the video is not an UPD officer, according to a statement released by the university this morning.

Email newsletter signup

The University of Mississippi Police Department is aware of the video of an incident taking place at the Ole Miss-LSU football game,” the statement reads. “The officers involved are not officers with the University Police Department, but are certified officers from other jurisdictions hired to work security at home football games.”

The video was posted by Hollie Barnes of Oxford who claims her husband, an U.S. Army National Guard veteran, was wrongfully accused of something by the officers who approached them in their seats in the stadium.

The video shows a verbal argument and two officers attempting to get the man to sit down and a struggle occurring although there are several people in the way. The video then shows one of the officers punching the man in the face. Afterwards, Barnes claims her husband was arrested and taken to the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department where he bonded out four hours later and that he did not receive medical attention.

Barnes claims her husband went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with a concussion, fractures to his orbital wall and maxillary sinus and contusions to the tissues of his eyes. She claims her husband was actually punched twice.

The video had been shared almost 9,000 times by 5 p.m. Sunday. The video made its way onto the Oxford Police Department Facebook page. OPD responded by saying their department was not involved.

One man claiming to be a witness said there was more to the story than the video shows. In another Facebook post, Matthew Vincent claims Barnes was very “drunk, screaming profanity in front of children.”

He belligerently challenged security. They came up to our seats and still tried to get him to just be cool. He was defiant and fought security. Not just a little. He was restrained and still fighting security. They tried to manage it without altercation. He kept pulling loose and fighting with them. He was trying to incite others to fight them. He got popped and all of his friends were celebrating that they had “got them” on video hitting himm” Vincent stated on Facebook.

UPD Chief Tim Potts said Sunday morning he could not comment further since it was an open investigation. However, UPD is asking any witness to contact UPD at 662-915-7234.