Rebs fall to Kentucky
Published 12:01 pm Friday, April 1, 2016
Despite dropping the doubles point, the Ole Miss women’s tennis team won the top three singles matches to secure a 3-1 lead against No. 23 Kentucky, but couldn’t close the door, as the Wildcats rallied for a 4-3 win Thursday night at the Gillom Sports Center.
The match came down to No. 6 and a pair of seniors in Ole Miss’ Marija Milutinovic and Kentucky’s Kirsten Lewis. Milutinovic held a 5-2 lead in the first set, but Lewis rallied to take it 7-5.
Milutnovic regrouped and won the second set 6-3 to force a winner-take-all third set. A quick break by Milutinovic to start the third set and the Rebels were in business. Milutinovic was serving 3-2, but got broken. Lewis held her serve and then broke again to serve for the match at 5-3. Milutinovic broke back at love but on her ensuing service game, could not hold, as Lewis clinched the 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 win and the team victory for Kentucky.
• The Rebels are now 9-7 overall and 2-7 in the SEC.
• It marked the Rebels’ fourth 4-3 match of the season. They are 1-3 in those.
• Arianne Hartono improved to 18-8 overall and 11-2 at No. 1 singles. She is now 5-2 in the SEC. Hartono also earned her seventh ranked win of the year.
• Mai El Kamash improved to 17-8 overall, 7-3 at No. 3 singles.
• Natalie Suk evened up her record at No. 2 singles to 6-6.