Ole Miss sweeps Florida A&M in volleyball
Published 5:31 pm Sunday, August 27, 2017
OXFORD, Miss. – Another double-double from senior outside hitter Lexi Thompson and strong play from the middles powered the Rebels past Florida A&M on Sunday at the Gillom Sports Center in the last match of the Rebel Invitational.
Thompson posted her 37th career double-double and third of the season with 14 kills on a .312 attack percentage and 17 digs. She averaged close to five kills and six digs a set to pace the Rebels.
Set one went back and forth with neither side holding more than a three-point lead. With Florida A&M up 21-20 late in the set, the Rebels went on a 5-0 run with five straight kills, including two by senior outside hitter Kate Gibson to take it 25-20.
Email newsletter signup
The Rebels pushed out to an 11-6 lead to begin set two forcing a timeout from Florida A&M. The Rattlers pulled to within one late, 20-19, but a service error and a tandem block by sophomore Emily Stroup and freshman Bayleigh Scott pushed the lead back out to three, 22-19. Stroup, who finished the day with six kills, had two of them in the final three points for the Rebels to secure the set 25-21.
Ole Miss raced out to an 11-5 lead in set three and Florida A&M never got closer than four as the Rebels finished out the set 25-20 and the match 3-0.
• Ole Miss improved to 3-1 on the season
• The Rebels broke the tie with Florida A&M and now lead the series 2-1.
• Junior libero Caroline Adams and sophomore Emily Stroup were named to the All-Tournament Team.
• Stroup hit .267 for the weekend with 48 kills, including hitting above .300 in both wins over Chattanooga and Florida A&M.
• Senior Lexi Thompson posted her 37th career and third of double-double of the season with 14 kills and 17 digs against the Rattlers. She hit .312 for the match.
• Thompson averaged 3.12 kills and 4.25 digs per set this weekend.
• Thompson totaled 68 digs for the weekend, and now needs just 14 to join her teammate Kate Gibson in the 1,000/1,000 club. Gibson became the first member of the club in the rally scoring era at Ole Miss on Friday night against North Dakota.
• Sophomore Nayo Warnell and freshman Bayleigh Scott combined for 12 kills and 10 blocks from the middle and both hit at a high percentage. Warnell had seven kills on a career-best .636 clip and Scott finished with five on a .400 percentage.
• Warnell finished the weekend with 25, nearly a block a set, and hit .357. Scott totaled 17 kills and hit .424 in her first tournament with the Rebels.
• Freshman Lauren Bars totaled 22 assists and sophomore Jordan Fate had 14. Bars finished the weekend with 115 assists and Fate 63.
Ole Miss heads to Jonesboro, Arkansas Sept. 1-2 for the Arkansas State Tournament. The Rebels open up with Virginia Tech on Friday at 11 a.m., followed by SMU at 4 p.m. The tournament concludes with a match against host Arkansas State on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.