OPC moves to begin contractor search
Published 11:59 am Tuesday, November 24, 2015
The Oxford Park Commission agreed Monday to begin the process for creating the requirements architectural firms would need to meet before sending in their proposals for a new Oxford Activity Center.
During an executive session meeting, the board moved to pursue a request for qualifications process, or RFQ.
Only those firms that successfully respond to the RFQ and meet the qualification criteria will be included in the later Request for Proposals solicitation process. Using the RFQ process can often help streamline the process when dealing with a large construction project, like a new activities building.
Last month, OPC Director Seth Gaines said he was told the city was prepared to spend about $7 million on a new center.
The city budgeted about $500,000 to clean up the old garbage dump located on the empty property across from the current Activity Center. Once that’s done, Price Street will be moved to join Molly Barr Road a little farther north giving OPC some additional land to expend its activity center.
The commission plans to have a work session with the Board of Aldermen in the near future to further discuss the future center.