Myth vs. reality: Initiative 42 equals threats, promises
Published 6:00 am Sunday, May 8, 2016
THREAT: Vote against Initiative or else these really bad things will happen:
1. Tax dollars for your schools will go to other districts;
2. Funding will have to be cut for things like mental health and regional centers;
3. Funding will have to be cut at universities and community colleges;
4. A “single judge” in Jackson will make all the decisions;
5. We will fully fund education without a court making us; and,
6. We will be able to put more money into Classroom Supply Fund.
REALITY: 42 failed — as requested — and the majority proved the following:
1. Your tax dollars are now going to go to other school districts;
2. Funding has been cut for mental health and regional centers;
3. Funding has been cut for universities and community colleges;
4. A “single judge” was denied jurisdiction over a legislative matter this session in less than 24 hours;
5. K-12 public education was just underfunded by another $176 million for next year.
6. Classroom Supply Fund was just underfunded by another $24 million for next year.
Begin to judge your elected officials on what they actually do — not what they say.
State representative, District 12