• 77°

Arrest made in last week’s lockout

A current Oxford High School student has been arrested as a result of last week’s threat that caused a lockout of schools in the district, according to the OHS website www.thechargeronline.com.

Threatening text messages sent to an assistant principal at the high school caused the lockout that lasted approximately two hours on Friday.

The website credits school resource officers Harper Thomas and Mario Weekly with identifying the culprit as a current OHS male student who is under the age of 18. Since the student is a minor, his name cannot be released.

“The student has been suspended and is awaiting a disciplinary hearing,” said OSD Superintendent Brian Harvey this afternoon.

According to the website, the student was released to the custody of his parents following the arrest and is awaiting a hearing in Lafayette County Youth Court.

Oxford Police Chief Joey East said any determination as to whether the suspect would be charged as an adult would be made through the Youth Court.

Look for more on this story as information is gathered.