Daylight saving time ends tonight 2016: Turn back clocks things to do
Published 6:35 pm Saturday, November 5, 2016
Daylight Saving Time 2016 comes to an end tonight at 2 a.m.
We turn our clocks back one hour to adhere to standard time, losing that extra hour of daylight at the end of the day. But the enjoyable part fall back Sunday, the day when daylight saving time ends each year on the first Sunday of November, is the opportunity to make good use of our extra hour in the day.
Yes, we lost one hour in a Sunday eight months ago when daylight saving time began in early March with spring forward. But now we get that hour back on Sunday, November 6, 2016.
Email newsletter signup
So the biggest question of the day is: how do we make best use of this gift of a free extra hour in this day? Here, then are 10 valuable things to do with the extra hour on Sunday.
What to do with the extra hour
- Go for a long walk. Yes, this belongs at the top of the list for a reason. Nothing is better for the soul than a good walk and no day is better for a good walk than a Sunday. Find someone you enjoy and care about and ask them to join you on a brisk walk for one full hour. Enjoy the sights and sounds of your neighborhood, give a strong hello to everyone you see and watch smiles emerge.
- Star reading a book that you previously wanted to read but put on the shelf for later. You have a free hour today. What better day to start reading the book than fall back Sunday? Go for it.
- Call a friend or family member you have been thinking about in recent months but haven’t taken the time to get personal with. Devote the time to them, and make sure to tell them that you dedicated the gift of a free hour this daylight saving time to give to them. You will find that it will be the greatest gift you give this year.
- Begin a new physical challenge. Been wanting to run, or lose 20 pounds in the gym? Today is the today to get started. The hour is a freebie in the day so devote the full time to starting a new workout habit to take you into the new year.
- Take your dog for a longer walk than usual. Even if you are the best pet owner in America you still don’t give your dog all the time and attention it craves. Your pet will enjoy an extra hour of attention, especially if it means a long walk.
- Make a donation pile by thinning your closet then give it away. We all could shed some pounds from our closet. Even the most organized acquire more than they need. And, many needy people in the area need what you have to give. So go clean your closet and take it to a donation center.
- Start watching a new TV series. Haven’t seen Narcos yet? How about The Americans? Or so many more good TV series available these days. Most last one hour per episode, so take your freebie hour this daylight saving time and watch episode 1 of the next best series on your list.
- Go to a museum in the region. Okay, this may take more than an hour, but most of us love a museum once we get inside but we don’t always take the time in our busy schedules to take the educational and inspiring visits. Find the museum you have been wanting to see and don’t let anybody talk you out of it. Go for a visit and make your free hour today count.
- Ride a bicycle. One hour spent on a bicycle is a very, very good hour. Especially on a Sunday afternoon.
- Start a journal. Writing a journal of introspection is one of the more rewarding hobbies we can find. Many people will tell you the insight gained is the best self help one can get. The free fall back hour this daylight saving time is a good time to start.