NOTES: Octavious Cooley, Jordan Wilkins among those back at practice for Ole Miss
Published 1:08 pm Friday, August 18, 2017
Ole Miss held its 14th practice of training camp Friday with the first eight periods open to the media. Here are some notes from the viewing periods:
• Octavious Cooley was back at practice. Cooley, listed as the third-team tight end on the preseason depth chart, had been serving an indefinite suspension for a violation of team rules. The 6-foot-3, 263-pounder’s return at the position comes at a good time with first-teamer Dawson Knox still out with a foot injury.
• Running back Jordan Wilkins, offensive tackle Greg Little and cornerback Myles Hartsfield also practiced. Wilkins (knee) was held out of recent practices as a precaution while Little recently cleared concussion protocol. A leg injury had slowed Hartsfield recently, but the sophomore was back at his first-team spot at cornerback.
Freshman cornerback D.D. Bowie (concussion) was dressed out but did not practice during the open periods.
• Running back Eric Swinney, who’s gone back and forth between the first and second teams, did not practice during the viewing periods. The third-year sophomore has missed the last two seasons with leg and knee injuries, but running backs coach Derrick Nix said Swinney took a hit to the head recently and is “day to day.”
• Nose tackle Benito Jones was held out again after the hit he took to his spine during Saturday’s scrimmage. Interim coach Matt Luke said earlier in the week it will likely be next week before Jones is cleared to return.
• Qaadir Sheppard, a projected starter at defensive end, spent part of Friday’s open periods riding a stationary bike as did running back D.K. Buford and defensive tackle Herbert Moore. Backup guard Chandler Tuitt also didn’t practice.