Ole Miss volleyball posts shutout at South Carolina
Published 3:16 pm Sunday, October 15, 2017
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Senior Lexi Thompson posted a match-high 16 kills on a .333 attack percentage and senior Kate Gibson posted her 14th double-double to lead the Ole Miss volleyball team to a 3-0 win at South Carolina Sunday at the Carolina Volleyball Center.
This marks the first win for the Rebels in Columbia since 2012.
Gibson had four kills and two service aces in set one to lead the Rebels to the early momentum. The Rebels led 15-11, but the Gamecocks used a 4-1 run to get within one, 16-15. The Rebels pushed it back out to 20-16 and then held off the Gamecocks 25-21.
The Rebels trailed 8-6 early in set two, but went on a 4-0 run to take a 10-8 lead. Ole Miss led 15-14 at the media timeout and then went on a 9-5 run to garner their first set point at 24-19. South Carolina recorded consecutive kills and then a service ace to pull back within two, 24-22 as Ole Miss called timeout. Following the timeout, Thompson finished off the set (25-22) with a kill to give the Rebels a 2-0 lead in the match.
Ole Miss trailed 13-10 in set three, but then went on an 11-4 run to go up 21-17. The Rebels finished off the Gamecocks 25-19 for their seventh shutout of the year.
• Ole Miss is now 13-8 overall, 4-4 in the SEC.
• This marked the first win in Columbia since 2012
• The Rebels have now won three-straight and five of the last six meetings against South Carolina
• The Rebels have now posted seven shutouts this year
• Senior Lexi Thompson recorded a match-high 16 kills on a .333 clip
• Senior Kate Gibson posted her SEC-leading 14th double-double with 11 kills and 14 digs.
• Freshman Lauren Bars tallied 22 assists and also threw in two kills and two service aces.
• The Rebels hit .257 and held South Carolina to .168.
• Freshman middle blocker Bayleigh Scott added 6 kills on a .364 attack percentage and had 5 blocks.
The Rebels continue on the road with a match at LSU on Wednesday. First serve is set for 8 p.m. on ESPNU.