Five projects allowed to move forward in Oxford Commons
With most traffic accessing Oxford Commons via Sisk Avenue, the Oxford Public Works Department limited construction in the area last year until the Sisk Avenue extension was completed.
Five projects were since approved by the Oxford Planning Commission and Oxford Board of Aldermen but construction was halted.
On Monday, Assistant City Engineer Reanna Mayoral said those five projects can now begin construction.
Oxford commissioners a study recently to determine what impact Sisk Avenue Extension will have on traffic in the area.
After reviewing the draft report, and speaking extensively with Charles Sullivan, associate at Civil-Link and Engineer of Record for the traffic report, Mayoral told the Oxford Planning Commission on Monday during its regular meeting that she is recommending the five projects previous stalled be allowed to begin construction; however, the businesses cannot occupy the facility until the extension of Sisk Avenue to Highway 6 is complete.
The five projects include the new Oxford School District administration building as well as 23 lots on The Heights phases 5 and 17, the Hyatt Place hotel, The Alexis commercial development and the FNB Oxford Commons branch.
“Each of these projects was approved with the condition that they would remain in the queue until additional trips were made available by some means,” Mayoral said. “It is my opinion based on the draft traffic impact study that the completion of the Sisk Avenue extension will increase the capacity – the number of trips available – enough to allow construction to begin.”
The Sisk Avenue extension is expected to be complete by the summer of 2019.
Mayoral said after the final draft of the traffic study is completed and reviewed, Public Works will likely recommend the city adopt a change in its trip-allocation policy to allow the consideration of projects and the beginning of construction on a case-by-case basis.
In other business Monday:
- The commission approved the site plan for the Oxford Intermediate School addition that will include two classrooms and a band room
- The commission Approved a request for final plat approval for Grand Oaks subdivision, Phase 1, located at Barron Street and Lyles Drive
- The commission approved the final plat for The Lamar, Phase 2, located west of North Lamar Boulevard
- The commission approved the site plan for Lafayette Landing Roadway and grading plan, that will eventually connect Thacker Road to Ricky D. Britt Boulevard
- Several cases involving variance requests and the final plat for property located at 320 Clubhouse Road were withdrawn from Monday’s agenda. The final plat approval for Grand Oaks, Phase V, located on Majestic Oaks Drive was withdrawn from the agenda.
Beginning Aug. 1, residents and their guests in the Oxford Housing Authority’s four public housing communities will not be allowed... read more