Oxford High burglary suspect arrested, posted photos on social media

Published 10:30 am Saturday, September 29, 2018

An arrest has been made in the case of a break-in at Oxford High School last weekend.

At approximately 10 a.m. on Sept. 23, Oxford Police Department responded to the high school’s address, 101 Charger Loop, in reference to a burglary. Patrol officers made contact with a school employee who stated that, while in the school, she found “M2K” drawn out with salt on the floor.

“The campus did not experience permanent vandalism or threatening messages,” a statement from Oxford School District said. “The suspect stole a hat and lanyard that was on display in the foyer. All evidence became part of an active investigation and the district treated this information accordingly. The district took active steps to secure each campus during and after school hours and will continue all safety protocols.”

Email newsletter signup

There were also duplicate notes spread throughout the school asking people to be kind to one another. Officers watched security video and saw a masked individual walking around the school around 12:55 a.m., a statement from the department said.

Communication was sent to OHS parents via email on Sunday evening notifying them of the incident. After receiving messages from concerned parents, an additional email was sent to OHS parents on Wednesday evening to reassure them that OPD was actively involved in the investigation, the statement from OSD said.

The M2K salt message led to a Twitter and Instagram account with the name “Michael Kacy.” Pictures were posted from that account of someone outside and inside the school. Those accounts were subpoenaed by investigators with OPD. While waiting on a response on the subpoenas, an anonymous tip came in that the suspect’s name was Caleb Johnson, 20 of Millington, Tenn.

OPD Investigators traveled to Tennessee and located Johnson, who was later that day arrested for burglary. Johnson was booked into the Lafayette County Detention Center and was given a bond of $2,500 by a Justice Court Judge. This is still an ongoing investigation.