City’s trust fund sees strong growth
The Oxford Reserve and Trust Fund Committee announced the trust fund has increased to $39,630,997 as of March 31, 202.
The announcement was made at Tuesday’s Board of Alderman.
There was a 17% percent increase in the fund from March 31, 2020, when the fund sat at $33,819,000. The fiscal year for the fund runs from April 1 to March 31.
The trust generated $831,000 after taking into account expenses, management, investment and counter-professional and attorney fees.
As of this year’s term, 51% of the fund is allocated for fixed income securities such as bonds, corporate bonds and governmental bonds and the other 49% is for equities.
The overall asset returns for the years was found to be 18.24% compared to 2020’s negative return of 0.5%.
As of March 31, 2021, the maximum distribution the city of Oxford is eligible for under the trust agreement is $1,188,930.
In 2012, Baptist Memorial Hospital – North Mississippi sold its old hospital to the city and Lafayette County in order to build a new one. It gave the city and county $30 million dollars each. Oxford invested the entire $30 million into the city’s trust.
The Oxford trust fund helps pay for city projects not initially covered by the official budget.
Mayor Robyn Tannehill announced vacancies in the Planning Commission, Courthouse Square Preservation Commission and Historic Preservation Commission on Tuesday’s Board... read more