Area roads still mostly unsafe; single-digit temps expected tonight
Published 9:56 am Friday, January 19, 2024
Road conditions have not improved a great deal since Thursday, especially less traveled roads, and local officials are heavily suggesting people remain off the roads unless it is an emergency.
“We advise everyone to stay at home and stay warm,” the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department announced on its social media sites this morning.
While some of the ice melted Thursday when the temperature went above freezing for a few hours, most refroze overnight and continues to freeze as the temperature drops again today.
Email newsletter signup
The National Weather Service has issued a Wind Chill Advisory for most of the Mid-South, including Lafayette County, from 10 p.m. through 11 a.m. on Sunday.
Winds are expected to pick up to around 10 to 15 mph this afternoon with gusts up to 25 mph. The temperature is expected to drop down to 10 degrees tonight; however, the wind chill values could get as low as zero degrees, according to the NWS.
Oxford Mayor Robyn Tannehill said city crews made progress on local streets Thursday and that road crews are back out Friday morning.
“Road conditions are better than Thursday (inside the city) but we recommend only driving if necessary,” Tannehill said. “The freeze last night caused ice to reform in many areas.”
According to Tannehill, roads with issues Friday morning include:
- The ramps getting on and off the highways are very icy.
- Jackson Avenue West between Walmart and West Oxford Loop
- Jackson Avenue by Martin-Stockard dorms
- University Avenue by Oby’s and Alan Samuels
- Molly Barr from Rockets to Highway 30
- Three way to the first roundabout on Highway 30
- Pat Patterson Parkway
- Pea Ridge to Veterans Drive is still slick in the northbound lane
City crews are working on the following roads Friday morning:
- Crew 1: Williams, Douglas, and Ed Perry
- Crew 2: Hwy 30 roundabouts, North Lamar Blvd, Price
- Crew 3: Anderson Road, Heritage Drive, Tommie Collie Jane, and Thacker Road
- Crew 4: Access Road, Frontage, Belk Blvd, and Price Hill Road